Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Owls v. Crazy People

Okay, apparantly I am supposed to call "morning people" larks not crazy. Whatever. I am not morning person, I have never been a morning person, I don't particularly wish to be a morning person. At various times in my life I have been an early riser for work, school or kids, but it is not what I really like to do. Every few months there seems to be articles on how to "become" a morning person in some major publication or website. The thing is, it is not really that hard to be functional in the morning. You just go to bed earlier and get up earlier. You might have a tough time for the first few days, but most people adjust fairly readily to a new schedule. (I know some people try to speed up the transition with sleeping pills, but if you give me an OTC sleeping pill I will still be groggy three days later.) Getting up early on a regular basis doesn't make you a morning person, you are also not a morning person if you attach a caffeine drip to yourself first thing in the morning-you are a junkie with a stimulant habit-or possibly you just like coffee, springing out of bed happy, perky and productive makes you a morning person. My mom is a morning person, my grandma is not, I am not, I fear that at least 2 of my 3 kids are. What does this mean? Well when your kids jump out of bed happy, wriggly and ready for the day it is not really fair to them to greet them with sullen functionality. So I guess I have to make the effort to try to become an actual morning person. Bummer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Notes from a true morning person who has a father who is not.. I applaude your desire to put on a happy face in the morning for your kids.. My father did not.. Whenever we went on vacation I always had to "hide" my excitement every morning waiting for everyone to get ready to go to Disneyland.. I would have been bouncing off the walls if not for my father's dirty looks.. You have not seen a "if looks could kill" until you have seen my father annoyed at me in the a.m. The funny thing is my husband is also not a morning person.. So I suppose living w/ my dad was good training for living w/ my husband.. So to you jotted, edited and disseminated I say well done, whowhowho.. :) Your wife's car eating friend..

Jed said...

That is a shocker. What was up with the 6:00 AM practices?

Tim Scarbrough said...

I'm a morning person all the way... always have been. The caffein addiction didn't begin until later in life. :)

Littau family said...

I always thought kids would make me a morning person. I would love to sleep in every morning I wake up. Unfortunately, I too, have 2/3 morning kids. Ally and Rylee wake up ready to take on the day. Emily would sleep til 10 on some mornings. Wish my other two had followed suit!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait until the teen-age years when our kids sleep in until 11:00. -Mike

Unknown said...

I used to be a nighttime person and not a morning person, but being married to someone who's the opposite for 28 years has taken its toll and I too now like mornings. Sad, isn't it?