Monday, August 4, 2008

Hangin' wit da homies

Almost every Sunday at church I am challenged by something that I could be doing better in my christian walk. When I leave church I generally feel fired up or inspired to improve some aspect of my relationship with God. Unfortunately, often a few weeks go by and I am re-challenged at church to improve that same aspect because I have let my improvements slip away. At times I worry that church is becoming a hot tub experience. When you are sore and tired climbing into a hot tub can make you feel better while you are in it, but it doesn't make any actual long-lasting physiological changes. The reasons you were tired and sore still exist outside of that hot tub.

Recently I have come to the conclusion that it is ok to re-challenged at church. In Hebrews it is said that Christians should meet regularly to spur one another towards love and good deeds and to encourage one another. The early Christians seemed to realize that similar to the way we can't make it in this world without God, we also have a much more difficult time surviving without other Christians to encourage and inspire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know my christian friends definately challenge me.. I am so thankfull for them in my life.. db